Thursday, May 27, 2010

I love love love my kids

After finding out some sad news on Thursday, I was dreading going to school, especially because of my students behavior earlier in the week. I won't go into detail, but lets just say it involved me taking one student outside and staring at him until he cried and then making the entire class sit in complete silence for the last 10 minutes of class.

It was like they knew, like a dog can sense something is wrong and comfort you. They were complete angels, even my worst student sat in his chair, did the assignment, and shared it with the class. Unheard of.

When my classes were finished for the day, it was time to start phone teaching. This means at the end of the month, I call every one of my students and ask them questions over the phone, for the sole purpose of their parents hearing them speak english. It's tedious and ultimately pointless. However, I always look forward to one student. Michael. He is crazy in class and difficult to control, but he understands the language. The brightest kids are the ones that are able to convey a sense of humor in english. Anyway, I ask Michael what his favorite movie is and he responds with Life is Beautiful. He is an 11 year old Korean boy and Life is Beautiful is his favorite movie. He explained the plot to me and said that it was an Italia movie but he watched it with english subtitles. What a great kid.



Papa Jim, I imagine you are still keeping up with my blog in heaven. You were an amazing man and you will be missed. Love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment